Monday, November 14, 2005

Legal, Safe, and Rare

I must say that the arguements in favour of legal abortion have convinced me. Moreover, they have inspired me; so I want to apply them to another area that has concerned me --- contract killings.

As one goes through life, he frequently encounters people who are inconvenient: elders who stand in the way of incomes, spouses who stand in the way of lovers, blackmailers who stand in the way of election or promotion, and the like. The people can stunt careers, lower one's quality of life, and even ruin one socially. To eliminate such living barriers to happiness, perfectly respectable people are forced to resort to hired killers, or "hit-men." For the wealthy, this poses little problem; the corridors of organised crime are filled with professionals who, for a hefty fee, will quickly and often silently remove the human obstacle. Their proficiency is such that the murder cannot be traced back either to the perpetrator or his employer. It is efficient, safe, and final.

But what of the rest of us, who cannot afford that kind of help? We must either resort to rank amateurs, who frequently botch the job, and are even caught. Sometimes the intended recipient (victim is SUCH an ugly word) survives; if the apprehended hit man turns in his employer (an almost inevitable occurence) the client's woes are multiplied.

Now, let me assure my reader that, as with abortion, I myself am personally opposed to the practice. I would not do myself, nor counsel anyone who came to me for advice to pursue this course of action. At the same time, however, I do not feel that I can impose my views on the public, most of whom do not share my religion or its values.

I propose, then, that contract eliminations ("killing" is such a loaded term) be legalised. Hit men could then be regulated and authorized by law. They would be required to achieve a certain level of training, and to operate in an open and above-board fashion.

Certainly, the decision to eliminate another person for the sake of one's own financial position, emotional state, or even mere piece of mind is a sensitive and deeply troubling one. I believe that it should be taken only with the advice and counsel of one's family, friends, and clergyperson. I would like to see these events become rare, recognising the severe strain they can put on everyone involved in the transaction. But I do not believe that the government has a right to intervene in such a deeply personal choice. So join with me in the fight to make this choice legal, safe, and rare!

7 Comments:

Blogger Der Tommissar said...

I believe that it should be taken only with the advice and counsel of one's family, friends, and clergyperson.

Unless, of course, those are the people for whom you require the service.

5:27 PM  
Blogger willa_cather said...

Ahh, abortion. Most in America believe it is still OK, in "many" circumstances. However, even the "Supreme" Court said that abortion should be limited in the second and third trimester; nevermind, abortion is available "on-demand", up until the baby is due to be born on the last day of the mother's pregnancy. We allow these "mercy killings" for the "life of the mother". Whatever. I think Hitler would be very proud. He loved killing those who "stood in the way" of his ideology. Although today the ideology has been replaced no-consequence sex. Who cares if a child is created! Get rid of it! The vast majority of aborted children are not rape or incest survivors, but are non-commited young adults who finds a pregnancy to be inconvenient. Wake-up, America, we are sacrificing our babies to the god of selfishness!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Never happen. The Supreme Court justices are all grown up, you see, so the freedom might apply to them. Can't have THAT, you know, wouldn't make for good order and all.

Wait, did I say, "All grown up"? Nah. They're just a bunch of big babies.

11:06 AM  
Blogger GFvonB said...

Look like Cardinal Arinze has been reading your blog!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Bernard Brandt said...

My, my, such A Modest Proposal.

(with apologies to Dean Swift)

10:35 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I have said much the same thing in the past, with gang members in mind. Why don't we make sure they have 'safe' and well-maintained guns so they can kill 'safely,' with no fear of troublesome backfiring? Same logic behind as behind the legalizers of abortion.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Intonsus said...

I belive that 'inhumation' is the preferred term of the Guild of Assasins in Ankh-Morpork

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home