Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Now We Are Forty-five!

Today is my forty-fifth birthday. My fortieth seems like yesterday; friends came from Ireland, Germany, and Arkansas to celebrate it, we hired a limousine, and had a splendid party at one of my favourite watering-holes. As an added entertainment, my foreign cronies were treated a few days later to the strangest presidential elections in our history.

Five years --- and what a difference. There have been personal difficulties, but I have had five books published in that time. I am extremely content. In the world at large, however, things have becomemuch worse, of course. But I have the best friends I could hope for (if I am not in as frequent contact as I should like), travel regularly to Europe, Canada, and the East (though I would very much enjoy getting back to Australia and New Zealand), and am doing sufficiently well financially to enjoy some meagre comforts. Moreover, I received a Papal knighthood. I'll never be wealthy or famous, but that's fine.

No big party, this year --- I'll dole out the cheer over the next two weeks in lunches and dinners with various people. But fear not; If I live so long, I'll throw a real blowout on my fiftieth!

5 Comments:

Blogger Roy F. Moore said...

Charles, congratulations on your 45th! May you have many, many more. You and yours are always in my prayers, and I recommend myself to yours as well.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Baron Von Christliebas said...

Auguri di compleanno, amico vecchio! Ci parliamo.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site. sincerely, antonio.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site. sincerely, antonio.

4:57 PM  
Blogger szandor said...

A Belated Birthday Greeting to You, dear Friend!

God grant you many years!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home