Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas is still here!

Ah, dear old Christmas is with us still. Having kept Advent without booze, meat, or tobacco, I was ready for Christmas Eve! After getting and trimming the tree, and putting the Christ-Child into his place in the Nativity scene, I watched the Pope's Midnight Mass. Then I scarfed up some of the leg of lamb I had had roasting for the last several hours of the Eve.

Christmas Day, I went to the Tridentine Mass, then out to brunch with friends. When I got home, I read the Christmas messages of the King of Spain, the Queen, and various other worthies. After reading Lovecraft's poem, "Old Christmas," I served ham, lamb, turkey, and tamales to still more friends, the whole washed down with champagne.

St. Stephen's Day was spent driving around visiting yet more acquaintances (mostly different people I have known since childhood).

St. John's Day was a recovery day!

Holy Innocents has been spent receiving messages from people, shopping, watching TV, and resting.

I expect a quiet time with St. Thomas of Canterbury, but my New Year's festvities begin on Friday.

I do love this time of year. What has made it better is that for the first time in my memory folk have begun to rebel against "Happy Holidays." Of course, I have to explain to people that I have no animus against Hanukah, just surprise that the Jews celebrate it. After all, the events it commemorates occur in a book of the Bible accepted only by the Catholics and Orthodox, and not by the Jews or Protestants!

At any rate, I will do my best to fend off what passes for reality until the Epiphany. This is the time of year to return ourselves to what we believe in, and to shed the dross of an anti-Catholic society. It is a sort of retreat, if taken in the right spirit.

At any rate, I want to wish my fellow bloggers, and all internauts, a very Merry Christmas, and an excruciatingly happy 2006!

8 Comments:

Blogger Roy F. Moore said...

Charles, may you have a Blessed 2006, as well as all your dear friends on the "Left Coast".

And I'm surprised you went "veggie" during Advent. Wow!

You and yours are always in my prayers. Viva Christus Rex!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Charles A. Coulombe said...

Well, dear fellow, I cringe to hear it put that way (and make a point of saying "it's Advent---or Lent, or Friday---" in restaurants when I have to ask for non-meat dishes at those times, lest the waiters think I'm a Vegan!). But the practise has two benefits --- habitual sins diminish, for some reason, and when Christmas comes, I'm ready to roll when everyone else is sick of it. So I can keep up the celebration until the 6th. By then, of course, my body screams for Lent!

But seriously, a Happy 2006, and you and yours are in my prayers as well!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Der Tommissar said...

I did a entire Lent once without meat, and wound up in Dallas on Holy Saturday.

If I ever have to end a meatless fast of such length again, I only ask that God allow me to wind up in Memphis when it ends. Or Philadelphia.

I doubt you need to worry about being Vegan. You have much too much personality in your voice and light in your eyes for being mistaken as one.

3:46 PM  
Blogger willa_cather said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm. said...

Mon ami,

I hope the rest of Christmas is Blessed for you and that you have a Blessed, Happy and Prosperous New Year!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Éstiel said...

Vegetarians, der Tommissar, have light in their eyes sufficient, thank you.

The Essenes were vegetarian. Mary's family, as well as John the Baptist's, were Essenes. It is extremely likely that Jesus did not eat meat. His Mother didn't.

Since I don't eat meat in the first bloody place, I can't very well offer it up for Lent. I try to get creative instead. This past year I gave up all complaining--now that was a truly fruitful sacrifice. I try never to make promises I can't keep--I wish I could abstain from cigarettes.

Prayer is with you, Willa, and with all parents these days....

Éstiel

8:20 PM  
Blogger Der Tommissar said...

The word was "Vegan", not vegetarian.

Personally, I figure that Christ and His family had at least a little lamb every year or so.

3:48 PM  
Blogger willa_cather said...

agreed tommissar! Christ refers to sheparding sheep in the gospels, and they weren't kept as pets in those days! They were kept as food, although they were lovingly kept, I'm sure (very "organic" in todays' PC terminology!). I'm sure Christ did eat lamb on occasion, although I am guessing on this one.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home